Shiremoor Primary School Governing Body Annual Statement
The Governing Body works continually behind the scenes to support and challenge the work of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure:
- A safe and secure learning environment
- High academic standards
- A broad and balanced curriculum
In accordance with the Government’s requirement for all governing bodies, our three strategic functions are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure the money is well spent
Our Governing Body reconstituted in September 2015 to meet statutory requirements and to ensure we have the best structure and combination of skills and competencies to meet the needs of the school.
Our constitution is as follows:
- 2 Parent Governors
- 1 Local Authority Governor
- 1 Staff Governor
- 7 Co-opted Governors
- Head teacher
- 12 Governors in total
Governors are well informed, undergo induction and ongoing training and have clear areas of responsibility.
- Strategic leadership that sets and champions, ethos and strategy.
- Accountability that drives up educational standards and financial performance.
- People with the right skills, experience, qualities and capacity.
- Structures that reinforce clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Compliance with statutory and contractual requirements.
- Evaluation to monitor and improve the quality and impact of governance.
A record of attendance is kept by the clerk to the Governing Body.
The full Governing Body has met on 4 occasions. Attendance 72%
Finance Committee has met on 4 occasions. Attendance 61%
Pay Committee has met on 1 occasion. Attendance 60%
Meetings need to be quorate to ensure that decisions can be made. Where decisions have to be made quickly governors have agreed to be contacted by email.
Approved minutes can be obtained by contacting the clerk to the Governors via the school office.
Key Issues during 2017/18
- Governors enabled Headteacher to be seconded for 2.5 days to continue support a local school
- As a result of the secondment Governors have continued to strengthen the Leadership and Management of the school.
- Governors supported new initiative to enhance reading
- Governors supported new testing to impact on spelling and grammar
- Supported enhancements to Nursery and Reception outdoor education
- Continued provision to support working parents
- Continued two year old provision
- Safeguarding and behaviour are a strength of the school
Impact on School Improvement
- Our pupils’ progress is strong and our pupils are happy, safe and confident. There are robust systems in place to track progress so that support can be offered when needed. Academic attainment and other achievement are a priority so that every pupil’s time at Shiremoor Primary school is as effective as it can be in preparing them for life beyond the school.
- Shiremoor Primary School offers excellent opportunities for all our pupils – both in and out of the classroom. For example a vast programme of extra-curricular activities, curriculum based visits, residential visits, Family outings and a wealth of visitors to school that improve lifestyles whilst being enjoyable.
- We actively listen to parents/carers and have improved communication opportunities and are committed to moving even further with this. Feedback from parents and carers is generally very positive. Parents are asked for their views on a regular basis.
- Despite the economic climate, our finances are healthy and we are working hard to make sure the school uses its resources efficiently to improve the quality of care and education offered including developing the quality of our environment.
- All our staff share and embrace the vision and values of the school and these are kept under review to ensure we do meet the expectations of our stakeholders.
- We are a Teaching School who are committed to improving the education system for all and do this by arranging regular Continuous Professional Development, school to school support, initial teacher training.
Strategic Planning for the Future
- We are keen that the school keeps moving forward and that the Governing Body rigorously monitors progress against the school Improvement Plan. We work closely with the Headteacher and Leadership team to ensure the school is as good as it should be and involve external support when required.
- The work of the Teaching School will continue to enhance what our school offers.
- Further enhance our outdoor areas
- Offer wider experiences for residential visits
How to contact the Governing Body
Clerk to Governors – Mrs K Quinn via the school office or:
Telephone 0191 2524188